Exploring social media for your organization, team, or group? Planning is key. Before you embark on the social media journey, ask yourself the following:
- Who are you trying to reach?
- What do you want to accomplish?
- How will you meet your objectives?
- What is the appropriate technology?
Source: Samplin-Salgado, M., and A Moore. "Doing More with Less: Efficiently and Effectively Using New Media."
Key things to keep in mind:
- Social media is one tool in a larger communication strategy.
- Plan ahead. Decide on your objectives before you decide on the technology.
- Measure your success. Once you have your objectives, figure out how to measure them.
- Is social media right for us? Consider your overall communications plan, organizational culture, and capacity.
- Audience...check. Objectives...check. Strategy...check. Now, which is the right tool?